Friday, August 22, 2008

Erecting the Frame

When you first start to put this together, you'll think to yourself "I can't believe this thing will actually stand on its own". You'll see in my picures that I added the diagonal cross-bracing in as soon as the corner posts go in, regardless of what the instructions state. It will make your life a lot easier if you do! Even if you have to remove it once in awhile to put in other segments.

When you're putting in all the studs, make sure you drop in the bolts for the horizontal supports. Check mudhouse's blog for more info about that. I had to unbolt things several times to put the extra bolts in....very time consuming. I wish I read their blog before I got to this part!

One other comment: I built this in March and it was below freezing most of the time. Aluminum and bare skin is wicked cold!



I decided to put all 4 vents on the southern root (I explain why in a future post). I also built the roof strucuture in my garage, mainly because it was too cold and windy. My father helped me carry it out and put it up. In hindsight, it probably would have been easier to build it in-place and deal with the cold weather.


<<Site Prep and Foundation | Glazing and Finishing up>>

No comments: